Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Developer(s): Insomniac Games
Publisher(s): SCEA (US), SCEE (EU), SCEI (JP, KO), SCE Australia (AU)
Genre: Action, Platformer
Game review links: : 90/100
Game description: From the creators of Ratchet & Clank comes the next installment of this sci-fi action adventure series. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando features more than 50 imaginative weapons and gadgets. The more things you blow up, the stronger Ratchet gets and the more advanced the weapons you'll have. Participate in all-new side challenges; destroy hordes of enemies in gladiator arenas, upgrade your ship and pick off enemies in space combat, and leave competitors to eat your dust in hi-speed challenge. Are you up for it?
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando is a 2003 3D platformer video game developed by Insomniac Games. The gameplay of Going Commando is similar to that of the original Ratchet & Clank. The player explores planets in the "Bogon" Galaxy and undertakes missions. It contains more mini-games than were present in the previous game. The game also introduces role-playing game (RPG) elements, such as upgradeable weapons. Going Commando was released roughly a year after its predecessor, and received very positive reviews. Critics noted the game's improved graphics, longer gameplay, and added role-playing elements as being major improvements over the original, but also criticized the game for its very high difficulty.
||HACKS: sometimes when a video loads the game crashes (PAL version, NTSC seems fine); EE timing hack fixed it., •If you can use PAL version, since it has less slowdowns because of running @ 50fps
•50-60+ FPS (software mode) depending on scene with speedhacks, no EE cycle rate, no VU Cycle stealing, Direct3D HW mode = Texture issues(Mipmap) Fix: use software mode with mipmap enabled. You will need CPU power like hardcore to run it smooth
||1.1.0 r5492||GSdx 5464 SSE41||
||Runs near full speed., Texture graphics distortion is present, but doesn't inhibit gameplay too much.|
||Europe v01.70(27/02/2003), MTVU, INTC Spin Detection, Enable Wait Loop Detection, mVU Flag Hack. Requires software mode to fix the graphics (MipMaps), the game can be quite slow. Lowering the extra threads to 2 seems to be optimal for this game and most of the time is full FPS, VU Cycle Stealing set to 1 can bring the FPS up for the remainder of the slowdowns but the game can appear slightly jumpy as a result.|
|PAL||Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit||
||1.2.1 r5875||GSdx D3D9 Hardware mode||
||•SPEEDHACKS: all recommended, EE Cyclerate lvl3
•PERFORMANCE: Laggy as hell 24-50 fps it's very unlikely that you'll get stable 50 fps or even like 45-50 40-50... with a similar CPU to mine if you don't have... I say an i5 with at least maybe 2.5 GHz or something similar don't even bother it's not worth it also worth mentioning garbage graphics on hardware mode software mode looks fine here's some tips if you want to try with a better CPU: if you can use the PAL version because that version is locked on 50 fps so your machine has less work to do, use software mode hardware mode is buggy as hell but it has better fps if you want to minimize the speed hit experiment with the extra rendering thread option choose values between 0 and 4,speedhacks here really come in handy even the VU cycle steal seems to have some effects but keep in mind that it can show false fps •OVERALL:Heavy demanding you really need a powerful PC to run this at a decent speed •UPDATE: apparently there's a way to play this kinda decently on a similar machine to mine there's a custom PCSX2 1.2.1 version that fixes some problem, it partially fixes the garbage textures in hardware mode making the game playable and it kinda boosts the game by a little bit i played a bit of the first stage and i got like 37-50 fps almost everywhere here ill link the YouTube video
||Used all recommended speedhacks, EE cyclerate 2, and VU stealing 1. Using hardware mode, it ran at playable speeds with lag when there are a lot of on screen elements.||Clank|
||Mipmapping now works in HW renderer and has been mostly fixed (hooray) I didn't encounter the Thugs-4-Less cutscene freeze as mentioned here. The game runs mostly smooth, but there's still a bit of slowdown when alot of action is occuring onscreen ;).|
|PAL||Windows 10 Pro||
||Works better as expected, really smooth, no lag here. Unfortunatelly game crashed on the Thugs-4-Less cutscene.||_AG|
- Original names: ラチェット&クランク2 ガガガ!銀河のコマンドーっす (SCPS-15056) & (SCPS-19302) & (SCPS-19317), 라쳇&클랭크: 공구전사 리로디드 (SCKA-20037) & (SCKA-20011)
- Also known as Ratchet & Clank 2: Locked and Loaded (EU, AU), Ratchet & Clank 2 (JP), Ratchet & Clank 2: Gagaga! Ginga no Commando-ssu (JP)
- Status: Active
- Type: Serious
- Description: Many textures are broken until you stand close to objects due to GSdx not supporting mip-mapping in Hardware mode.
- Workaround: Go to Config > Video (GS) > Plugin Settings, and set Mipmapping to "Basic (Fast)". Or switch to Software mode by setting Renderer to any of the "(Software)" options.
Cutscene doesn't load
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Minor
- Description: After disabling the Thugs-4-less jamming array, only the audio from the following cutscene is loaded. The next cutscene doesn't load at all and the game is stuck on a black screen.
- Workaround: Has been resolved in recent PCSX2 v1.5.0 git builds. For older versions go to Config > Emulation Settings > Game Fixes tab, click "Enable manual game fixes" and enable the "EE timing hack" fix.
Megaturret Glove's turrets don't work
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: The upgraded turret glove's turrets loop the deployment animation and sound continuously and can't shoot anything.
- Workaround: There's no known solution.