Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Publisher(s): Aruze Corp (JP), Midway (US, EU, AU)
Game review links: Metacritic: 85/100
Game description: More than a year after the events of the original Shadow Hearts, Yuri embarks on a new expedition in a world full of magic and creatures. Set during World War I, Shadow Hearts: Covenant puts you in the role of Yuri and his companions as they journey to find a cure for his curse and defeat an evil cult. Each character has their own distinct personality, attributes, abilities, and subquest missions. The final outcome of each battle is based on your speed and accuracy as you employ a variety of attacks, spells, and defense formations.
Set during World War I, Shadow Hearts: Covenant puts you in the role of Yuri a year after the events of the the original Shadow Hearts and his companions as they journey to find a cure for his curse and defeat the evil cult, Sapientes Gladio.
Test configurations on Windows:
||pre 0.9.7 Beta (r1888)||GSdx (r2693)||
||BIOS: Japan v2.20, The game can be run at full speed without speedhacks. The spinning wheel in battle is bugged, and it cannot be fixed in hardware mode by changing setting. The bug is very minor and does not affect game play. The bug is not present in software mode.||CKL|
||GSdx v0.1.16 (r5390)||
||Europe v01.70(27/02/2003), Hardware mode gets the screen messed up when the judgement ring appears (fixed by using Software mode).|
|NTSC-U||Windows 10 x64 (Build 14393)||
||1.4.0||GSdx 1.0.0 (v1.4.0)
||BIOS: USA v2.20 (10/02/2006), Speedhacks EEC 0, VUCS 0. 100% playable, upscales very well. Slight blur in overworld but no significant effect on gameplay. Flickering in cutscenes with dialog still persistent.||Jonbuddy1|
|NTSC-U||Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (Build 14393)||
||v1.4.0||GSdx v1.0.0 (v1.4.0)
||Bios: v01.60, 16 GB RAM, Speedhacks MTVU on. Recommended: Please use the two workarounds listed below so you have crisp graphics and can see the cutscenes uninterrupted by glitches and image distortion. The game is 100% playable, save for the listed glitches. It up-scales extremely well, with great graphics capability.||skiesfirepaved|
|NTSC-U||Windows 7 x64 SP1||
||BIOS: Europe v01.60, Runs perfect at full speed and it looks great. The only bug is the judgement ring during battle (sometimes black screen while the wheel is turning or showing the previous character) It doesn't affect gameplay in any way though. The bug is not present in software mode. Flickering screen during cutscenes with dialog in hardware mode. Solution: turn dialog off in options and it plays fine. Or use software mode F9.||stratos|
||1.5.0 (163fd2b)||GSdx 1.1.0 SSE41
||BIOS: USA 2.30; Preset 2; MTVU; Runs at 50-60 FPS in Native Resolution during battle and towns/dungeons outside of a few big areas where it fluctuates between 40-60 FPS. Using 2x Resolution drops the FPS between 35-50 in towns/dungeons, but remains at a good 55-60 FPS during battle. I have encountered no errors with the Judgement Ring at this time (4/13/2019). FMV flickered briefly in the 3rd video shown, but hasn't since (10-15 HRS game time). No crashes.||OneBigSpud|
- Original names: シャドウ・ハーツⅡ (SLPS-25334), シャドウハーツ2ディレクターズカット (SLPS-73214)
- Also known as Shadow Hearts II (JP), Shadow Hearts II: Director's Cut (JP)
- There's a Director's Cut edition released in Japan only, with extra dungeons and new playable characters.
- Status: Active
- Type: Serious
- Description: The game looks like a blur filter was applied.
- Workaround: Go to Config > Video (GS) > Plugin Settings, turn on "Enable HW Hacks", go to Configure Hacks and set both TC Offset axis to 350. Do not enable the "Half-pixel Offset" at the same time.
- Status: Active
- Type: Serious
- Description: During cut scenes, battle and other areas, the screen will flicker black and rarely during battle show a different image for a second or two before it starts. In battle, the screen will flicker when you go to use the Judgement Ring but will not impact the ring at all, so it's entirely playable.
- Workaround: Temporarily switch to Software mode by pressing the F9 key. Or go to Config > Video (GS) > Plugin Settings, and set Renderer to any of the "(Software)" options to permanently switch to Software mode.
- Games rated C in Japan
- Games rated T in North America
- Games rated 16+ in Europe
- Games rated MA in Australia
- Games with widescreen support
- Games with English language
- Games with Japanese language
- Games with German language
- Games with French language
- Playable games
- Games by Nautilus
- Games with serious issues