Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Developer(s): EA Bright Light
Publisher(s): EA Games
Genre: Action, Adventure
Game review links: Metacritic: 63/100
Game description: In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Together they work to find the key to unlock Voldemort's defenses and, to this end, Dumbledore recruits his old friend and colleague, the well-connected and unsuspecting bon vivant Professor Horace Slughorn, whom he believes holds crucial information. Meanwhile, the students are under attack from a very different adversary as teenage hormones rage across the ramparts. Harry finds himself more and more drawn to Ginny, but so is Dean Thomas. And Lavender Brown has decided that Ron is the one for her, only she hadn't counted on Romilda Vane's chocolates! And then there's Hermione, simmering with jealously but determined not to show her feelings. As romance blossoms, one student remains aloof. He is determined to make his mark, albeit a dark one. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead and Hogwarts may never be the same again. In the game, players will return to Hogwarts to help Harry survive a fraught sixth year. They will also have a chance to engage in exciting wizard duels, mix and brew magical ingredients in Potions class and take to the air to lead the Gryffindor Quidditch team to victory. Players may even get sidetracked by Ron's romantic entanglements as they journey towards a dramatic climax and discover the identity of the Half-Blood Prince.
Test configurations on Windows:
||PCSX2 Feb 03 2014 1.2.1 (r5875)||GSdx 5875 (MSVC 18.00, SSE41) 0.1.16||
||GSdx seems to have issues rendering some distant textures (Hardware Mode). Performance in Hardware mode is absolutely terrible, if anything worse than software mode. Textures like foliage, buildings and character faces look like garbage from a distance, and loading screens run at about 4 FPS. The game runs flawlessly in software mode, though.|
||1,70 dev32||Gsdy SSE4,1/AVX 1,20||SPU 2,0||Low FPS in hardware mode
Unstable FPS in mode software mode
||1.7.0-dev-1450||GSdx 1.1.0 AVX2, Direct3D11 (Hardware)||
||Runs at 100% / 3x Native (~1080p) with only one very minor issue, that being a faint rainbow line at the bottom of the screen.
Had flickering textures, especially in the skybox. Fixed by checking Config > Graphical Settings... > Advanced Settings and Hacks > Frame Buffer Conversion and Config > Emulation Settings... > Speed Hacks > MTVU (Multi-Threaded microVU1 or Instant VU1 (without MTVU only. With upscaling enabled, had vertical black lines drawn across the screen. Fixed by checking Config > Graphical Settings... > Advanced Settings and Hacks > Align Sprite.
Vertical black lines
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: Thin vertical lines appear in the game
- Workaround: Fixed by checking Config > Graphical Settings... > Advanced Settings and Hacks > Align Sprite.
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Serious
- Description: After FMV and after loading the game, flickering textures appear immediately in the game.
- Workaround: Fixed in emulator version 1.7.0. For older versions: Fixed by checking Config > Graphical Settings... > Advanced Settings and Hacks > Frame Buffer Conversion and Config > Emulation Settings... > SpeedHacks > MTVU (Multi-Threaded microVU1) or Instant VU1 (without MTVU only).
- Games rated E10+ in North America
- Games rated 12+ in Europe
- Games rated PG in Australia
- Games with widescreen support
- Multiplayer games
- Games with English language
- Games with German language
- Games with French language
- Games with Spanish language
- Games with Dutch language
- Games with Italian language
- Games with Swedish language
- Games with Czech language
- Games with Hungarian language
- Games with Polish language
- Games with Danish language
- Games with Finnish language
- Games with Norwegian language
- Games with Portuguese language
- Games with Russian language
- Playable games
- Games by Electronic Arts
- Games with minor issues