Tales of the Abyss
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Developer(s): Namco (Tales Studio)
Publisher(s): Namco Bandai
Game review links: Metacritic
Game review score: 78/100
Game description: Taking place in a fantasy world, the story focuses on Luke fon Fabre, a young swordsman whose pampered life turns upside down when he unwittingly becomes the target of a military-religious organization known as the Order of Lorelei, who believe him to be the key to an ancient prophecy. Together with his companions, Luke attempts to discover the truth and significance of his own birth, as well as unravel the mystery of The Score, the prophesy that has bound humanity's actions for thousands of years.
Test configurations on Windows:
||x1.5, INTC Sync, IOP 2x, idle loop, FPS: 55 - 60 (capped). You may want to try using speed hacks, but all cycle modifying speedhacks (sync hacks) are likely to break the game such as loose music and crash in battles.||KabooZ|
||BIOS: USA 2.30, With the new GSdx patch for the ghosting glitch, this game is running perfectly now. With 5x scaling the game looks awesome and I no longer have ghosting issues.||Ryudo|
- To make use of 3 and 4 player support you have to enable Multitap for Port 2 under LilyPad's options.
- The controls will then be as follows: 1 = Player 1, 2A = Player 2, 2B = Player 3, 2C = Player 4.
- If the game fails to load any area, effectively trapping you in maybe one or two areas that you can access, it's due to a patching error in the ISO. This can be the case with the undub version if the patch is not applied correctly, or if the ISO was already ripped incorrectly from the original disc.
Ghosting at non-native resolutions.
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: If you set a resolution that's higher than the game's native resolution, a "ghost" effect will occur.
- A patched GSdx has been made available to fix this issue. After you set this version of GSdx as your active plugin, you have to tick "Enable HW Hacks" under GSdx options, and then enable the "ToA Ghost Fix" hack. Use Native Scaling (x2, x3, etc.) or higher. Don't use custom resolutions or the patch will not work. You can find the patched GSdx here. (Latest GSdx version of the patch was compiled on May 05, 2015 and is currently available for SSE2, SSSE3, SSE4, and AVX2. Other versions or newer versions in the future can be requested.)
- Minor note: The patch causes a 1px border on the left and top side of the screen. This is caused by the offset hack and can't be avoided unfortunately. Compared to the ghosting though it's a very minor issue and still makes it worth using.