Tales of the Abyss
Developer(s): Namco (Tales Studio)
Game review links: Metacritic
Game review score: 78/100
Game description: Taking place in a fantasy world, the story focuses on Luke fon Fabre, a young swordsman whose pampered life turns upside down when he unwittingly becomes the target of a military-religious organization known as the Order of Lorelei, who believe him to be the key to an ancient prophecy. Together with his companions, Luke attempts to discover the truth and significance of his own birth, as well as unravel the mystery of The Score, the prophesy that has bound humanity's actions for thousands of years.
||x1.5, INTC Sync, IOP 2x, idle loop, FPS: 55 - 60 (capped). You may want to try using speed hacks, but all cycle modifying speedhacks (sync hacks) are likely to break the game such as loose music and crash in battles.||KabooZ|
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (SP1)
||BIOS: USA 2.30, Aside from the ghosting issues that this game has, it does run amazingly well. Ghosting issue can be somewhat fixed by using some of the methods found below. Personally I used the Skipdraw + Shadeboost combination to get around it.||Ryudo|
- To allow 3 and 4 player support, enable multitap on the emulator for port 2, and port 2 on Lilypad ((r4510)0.10.0 and up) plugin. Controls for each player then becomes 1 = Player one, 2A= Player 2, 2B= Player 3, 2C= Player 4.
- If the game fails to load the lowermost area of Baticul late in the game (the game hangs while loading the area when you try to reach it using the elevators), it's not because of the ISO/HDD being corrupted, or the emulator itself. You simply have to make sure that you've finished talking to everyone in lukes manor.
Ghosting at higher resolution
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: If you use a higher resolution than native "ghost" effect will occur
- Workaround: If you use a higher resolution than native add pixoff_x=-8, pixoff_y=-8 to your GSDX.ini and if the "ghost" problem still exists try different values (works only on/after rev1650 or GSDX 0.1.15).
- Alternatively: A TotA-specific build of GSDX also fixed this.
- Alternatively: If you are using custom resolution set in 1920x1080, just use TCoffsetX:450/Y:350. You don´t need any other hack if you do this.
- Alternatively: As of gsdx2693, just set UserHacks_SkipDraw to '1' to fix this problem. (Can cause slowdown)
- Alternatively: As of PCSX 1.0.0 with GSDX 5334 (0.1.16) it seems that ghosting can be fixed by using Native or Native x1-x6 resolution.
- Note: When you set Skipdraw to 1, you'll have to use Shadeboost and increase the Brightness to max. Because you'll lose the bloom entirely in the game, causing things to become darker.;