Game review links: : 9.4/10, : 86/100
Game description: Fifteen years after the events of Suikoden II, the stories of Hugo (the son of a village chief), Chris (the virtuous Knight of Zexen), and Geddoe (the rebellious unit commander) intertwine as they gather the 108 Stars of Destiny. Suikoden III features three different battle systems and three styles of combat in a 3D world. Customize each of your three character's skills, and then pair them together to unleash devastating combo attacks.
Suikoden III shares many elements with other role-playing video games. The player controls the current protagonist and travels with them around the world map, advancing the plot by completing tasks and talking with other characters. In towns, they can gather information, sharpen their weaponry, learn new skills, and buy equipment; wilderness areas generally feature random encounters with monsters. Aside from the main plot, after a certain point in each main character's chapters, they may recruit new characters to go to Budehuc castle. Recruiting a character often requires a short sidequest or other mission. Unlike Suikoden II and Suikoden V, Suikoden III has no "time limits" for character recruitment; assuming certain plot decisions are made "correctly," it is always possible to recruit all 108 Stars of Destiny.
||BIOS: USA v01.60, Runs at full speed in most situations with the speed hacks slider set to 3-Balanced. FPS drops to around 30-40 in a few wide open areas such as Vinay del Zexay marketplace.||Natolom|
||1.2.0 r5782||GSdx 5801m SSE41||
||Runs at full speed.|
|NTSC-U||Windows XP Professionnel 32-bit SP3||
||1.2.1||GSdx 5875||USA V01.60, Full speed unless in open area as Vinay Del Zexay Marketplace FPS drop to 25FP||Hexos|
|NTSC-U||Linux (openSUSE 13.1)||
||1.3.1+git20150130||GSdx (gcc 4.8.4, SSE2) [libGSdx-0.1.16]||
||USA V02.20, completed game.. Enable 2x scaling in libGSdx plugin and MTVU speed hack to remove slowdowns. Some audio lag during battles on linux - on windows, same hardware no slow down.||fuji7l|
- Original names: 幻想水滸伝III (SLPM-65074) & (SLPM-65073) & (SLPM-65305) & (SLPM-65694)
- Also known as Genso Suikoden III (EU, JP), Gensou Suikoden III (JP)
- Konami did not release Suikoden III in PAL territories. A European version was announced but cancelled a few months before release, allegedly due to problems with the conversion tools. Konami's policy at that time was that all PAL games had to be fully translated to the respective languages and that only releasing the game in English was not an option. Petitions to change Konami's decision on the matter were unsuccessful.
Unable to move diagonally ↖ with keyboard controls
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: When the left analog is bound to the keyboard, you're unable to move diagonally front and left. The character merely stands still. It appears the game's code was sloppy in this regard.
- Workaround: Go to your controller settings and adjust the Axis Scale slider to 0.95 (Qt). For older instances (Wx) you will need to click each respective bind and set its sensitivity to ~0.95 as well.
Graphical corruption in flashback sequences
- Status: Active
- Type: Serious
- Description: The monochrome filter in flashback sequences renders incorrectly, with the top half of the screen using the filter properly but having every other column display flickering segments of past frames, while the bottom half of the screen renders normally without the filter.
- Workaround: You can view these scenes normally only through Software rendering (F9). There is a chance that the corruption will exist outside of flashbacks though regardless of renderer choice.