Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Developer(s): Sucker Punch
Publisher(s): SCEA (US), SCEE (EU), SCEI (KO, JP)
Genre: Action, Platformer
Game review links: Metacritic: 86/100, IGN: 8.5/10, Eurogamer: 8/10, GameSpot: 7.8/10
Game description: Sly Cooper, the notorious international thief, is out to reclaim what is rightfully his. The family heirloom has been stolen and Sly wants it back. Get ready to infiltrate the most secure places in the world using a repertoire of sneaky moves. Tiptoe around spotlights, alarms, infrared lasers, and trip wires, while grabbing priceless jewels and emptying casinos. Stealth and smarts are all you need as you dodge security guards, run across rooftops, and escape with your tail intact.
The game focuses on the eponymous protagonist and master thief Sly Cooper and his gang, Bentley the Turtle and Murray the Hippo, as they seek out the Fiendish Five to recover his family's "Thievius Raccoonus", a book with the accumulation of all of Sly's ancestors' thieving moves.
Test configurations on Windows:
||0.9.8 (r4600)||GSdx 0.1.16||
||BIOS: USA v01.60, Full speed, no visible or audible errors.||Sgtnapalm|
||BIOS: USA v02.00, FPS: 59-60, Full speed, no visible or audible errors. Using "Direc3D10 (Software)" with native resolution. All 4 cores, Not using discrete Graphics card. 4GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz G-skill||Individuality|
||1.1.0 (r5492)||GSdx SSE41 (r5464)||
||Runs near full speed.|
|NTSC-U||Windows 7 64-Bit||
||1.2.1 (r5873)||GSdx 0.1.16 (r5875)||
||Game runs well and looks great with Direct3D10 (Hardware) and 6X native resolution at 60 FPS. No need for any hacks. BIOS v2.0 was used.||Zrooney|
|PAL||Windows 10 Pro x64||
||1.5.0||GSdx SSE4||SPU2-X||Finished the game and didn't have any issues. Used only recommended speed hacks, although sometimes in Mesa City I had to slide VU Cycle Stealing to -2.||GouStoulos|
|PAL||Windows 8.1 x64||
||1.5.0 (075a9f3)||GSdx 1.1.0 AVX2
||Runs well with recommended settings everywhere at 3x resolution. Bob tff interlacing seems to produce the best results. Finished the game without issues apart from some slowdowns on small portions of two or three levels.||Ratchet66|
||SPU2-X||Completed the story. Game ran near flawlessly at 6x native resolution, with minor framerate drops in one area of Chapter 3. Cell shading lines don't scale up correctly with higher resolutions, being a little too big and slightly misaligned. The fix explained under "Known Issues" does work, however I find the fix has the opposite problem of making the lines too small in 4K, which detracts from the aesthetic. In any case it's difficult to make those lines look correct in higher resolutions! To get a clear and sharp image, I found a no-interlacing patch and a motion blur removal patch and combined them together.||CynicMimic|
|NTSC-U||Windows 10 Home x64||
||"Assertion Failed: FQC=0 on VIF FIFO READ" error when loading a savestate in A Cunning Disguise, and PCSX2 crashed when loading a savestate in Descent into Danger. However, I got the same error when loading a savestate in another game, so it's probably not an issue with Sly. Flickering dots on character profiles in cutscenes (I tried disabling safe features, but the issue remained). Occasional lag in some areas, most notably the Mz. Ruby boss fight and some levels in Chapter 4, but it's rare and minor enough that the game is still more than playable (I barely noticed the lag with Async Mix audio). EE Cyclerate -3 fixes almost all the lag but causes stutter in FMVs, so it's not recommended. Disabling safe features does "fix" the outline problem, but I thought the outlines looked better when too big than too small, so I didn't use the fix. Game looks blurry when upscaled; I tried Bob tff deinterlacing, but that caused the screen to shake. Towards the beginning, I used a deinterlacing patch, but this triggered a bug that exists on PS2 where cheating devices e.g. Game Shark cause clues not to spawn and stop keys registering when you collect them, making the game unplayable: DO NOT USE CHEATS. Fully playable (I completed the game 100%).||PandoraGTX|
||1.7.2678 Nightly||GSdx 1.1.0 AVX2, OpenGL (Hardware)||
||Game runs fine with default settings.||Zerron21|
- Original names: 怪盗 スライ・クーパー (SCPS-15036), 슬라이 쿠퍼 전설의 비법서를 찾아서 (SCKA-20004)
- Also known as Kaitou Sly Cooper (JP), Sly Raccoon (EU)
Cheats break the game
- Status: Active
- Type: Major
- Description: When using cheats, some clues will not spawn and keys won't register when you collect them (the counter won't increase), making it impossible to continue the game.
- Workaround: Don't use cheats or patches. Recommended to use them while roaming around after 100% completion.
Note: This bug exists on the PS2 when third party memory cards or cheating devices e.g. Game Shark are used, and isn't a PCSX2 bug.
Incorrect Line Upscaling
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Minor
- Description: When upscaling the game to a higher resolution, the cel shaded black lines become too big and aren't in the right place.
- Workaround: Go to Config > Video (GS) > Plugin Settings, turn on "Enable HW Hacks", Choose "Disable safe feature".
Note: Fixed as of version 1.7.3.
Black dots during events
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Minor
- Description: During the conversations between Sly and his gang during the level, some black dots appear on gang faces.
- Workaround: Appears to be fixed by automatic fixes as of v1.7.3131. For older versions Go to Config > Video (GS) > Plugin Settings, turn on "Enable HW Hacks", Choose "Disable safe feature".
- Games rated A in Japan
- Games rated E in North America
- Games rated 7+ in Europe
- Games rated G in Australia
- Games rated ALL in Korea
- Games with widescreen support
- CPU intensive games
- Games with English language
- Games with Japanese language
- Games with German language
- Games with French language
- Games with Spanish language
- Games with Italian language
- Games with Korean language
- Playable games
- Games by Sucker Punch
- Games with major issues