Publisher(s): Aruze Corp (JP), Midway (US, EU)
Game review links: Metacritic: 73/100
Game description: With a mix of turn-based strategy and role-playing game elements, Shadow Hearts presents a magical quest within a deep storyline. The story comes to life with complex characters, intense battle sequences, and unique gameplay mechanics that give you complete control of the action. You play Yuri--the son of a Chinese war hero--as he attempts to uncover an evil scheme and unravel the many mysteries surrounding Shadow Hearts. Since Yuri has the power to morph into the different monsters he defeats in battle, you'll be able to assume different roles, including an old Chinese mage, an international spy, or even a vampire.
Shadow Hearts follows the adventures of Yuri Hyuga, a Harmonixer (Shapeshifter) guided by a mysterious voice in his head. He finds himself thrown into the conflicts prior to World War I where he must save the world and the woman he loves from destruction.
Test configurations on Windows:
||BIOS: Japan v2.20, The game runs better in software mode. some texture don't show in GSdx10 hardware mode. It can be run at full speed without speed hacks.||CKL|
||r4980||GSdx r4979 0.1.16||
||BIOS: USA v2.00, EE CycleRate (2): noticeable speedup, setting it to 3 causes audio stuttering throughout the game. Idle Loop Fast Forward: noticeable speedup, no issues. MTVU: Noticeable speedup in quads,||Hellbringer616|
||SCPH-70012.bin/v02.00/USA/2004, You need to enable clamping mode to full in certain areas because the textures of the room is overlaid on top of the character so they appear invisible. Hardware mode is about 1/3 speed. Software mode got me full speed the entire game., EE Clamping to full causes the game to crash when you jump in the plane in the beginning of the game (after fighting the demon dog). I turned it back to normal and just dealt with the invisible character after that.|
||v1.1.0 r5411||GSdx v0.1.16 r5390||
||Europe v01.70(27/02/2003), Recommended,MTVU, Pretty slow in hardware mode (known GSdx limitation), faster in SW mode, -Hardware mode has broken battle whirl effect and fusion effect (both work fine in SW mode)|
- Original names: シャドウハーツ (SLPS-25041) & (SLPS-73418)
- Type: Note (not an issue)
- Description: The game is very GPU-intensive in Hardware mode (specially for AMD GPUs) outside of battles. Additionally, enabling Texture Filtering will lead to visible graphical glitches.
- Workaround: Use a software renderer OR Direct3D9 (hardware) since it's much faster than 10/11 for this game.
However, it is safe to switch to Hardware mode during battles. This will avoid slowdowns on weaker CPUs.
- Type: Note (not an issue)
- Description: In various environments, characters seem to be invisible.
- Workaround: Set EE/FPU clamping mode to Full.
This change requires a scene change to take effect and will not make already invisible characters visible immediately.
FMVs flicker in hardware mode
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: The FMVs will flicker in hardware mode.
- Workaround: Temporarily switch to software mode by pressing F9 or turn on the game fix called 'Switch to GSdx software rendering when an FMV plays' under the Game Fixes section. Just remember to turn it back off when you're not playing the game.
- Games rated C in Japan
- Games rated M in North America
- Games rated 16+ in Europe
- Games with widescreen support
- GPU intensive games
- Games with English language
- Games with Japanese language
- Games with German language
- Games with French language
- Playable games
- Games by Sacnoth
- Games with minor issues
- Temp Navbox required