Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Developer(s): Insomniac Games
Publisher(s): SCEA (US), SCEE (EU), SCEI (JP, KO), SCE Australia (AU)
Genre: Action, Platformer
Game review links: : 90/100
Game description: From the creators of Ratchet & Clank comes the next installment of this sci-fi action adventure series. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando features more than 50 imaginative weapons and gadgets. The more things you blow up, the stronger Ratchet gets and the more advanced the weapons you'll have. Participate in all-new side challenges; destroy hordes of enemies in gladiator arenas, upgrade your ship and pick off enemies in space combat, and leave competitors to eat your dust in hi-speed challenge. Are you up for it?
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando is a 2003 3D platformer video game developed by Insomniac Games. The gameplay of Going Commando is similar to that of the original Ratchet & Clank. The player explores planets in the "Bogon" Galaxy and undertakes missions. It contains more mini-games than were present in the previous game. The game also introduces role-playing game (RPG) elements, such as upgradeable weapons. Going Commando was released roughly a year after its predecessor, and received very positive reviews. Critics noted the game's improved graphics, longer gameplay, and added role-playing elements as being major improvements over the original, but also criticized the game for its very high difficulty.
||Sometimes when a video loads the game crashes (PAL version, NTSC seems fine); EE timing gamefix resolved it.
•50-60+ FPS (software mode) depending on scene with speedhacks, no EE cycle rate and no VU Cycle stealing speedhacks. •To fix texture issues(Mipmap) use software mode with mipmap enabled, but you will need CPU power like hardcore to run it smooth.
||1.1.0 (r5492)||GSdx SSE41 (r5464)||
||Runs near full speed. Texture graphics distortion is present, but doesn't inhibit gameplay too much.|
||Europe v01.70(27/02/2003), GSdx: Requires software mode to fix the graphics (MipMaps). The game can be quite slow. Lowering the extra threads to 2 seems to be optimal for this game and most of the time is full FPS. Speedhacks: VU Cycle Stealing set to 1 can bring the FPS up for the remainder of the slowdowns but the game can appear slightly jumpy as a result.|
|PAL||Windows 7 Home Premium x64||
||Performance: Laggy as hell, 24-50 FPS. It's very unlikely that you'll get stable 50 FPS or even like 45-50... I say it needs an i5 with at least maybe 2.5 GHz or something similar, otherwise don't even bother it's not worth it. Use GSdx software mode, hardware mode is buggy as hell but it has better FPS. If you want to minimize the speed hit experiment with the extra rendering thread option, choose values between 0 and 4. Speedhacks here really come in handy even the VU cycle steal seems to have some effects, but keep in mind that it can show false FPS. Overall: Heavy demanding you really need a powerful PC to run this at a decent speed.||Razor96|
||1.3.0 (svn 05-Aug-2014)
||Used all recommended speedhacks. Using hardware mode, it ran at playable speeds with lag when there are a lot of on screen elements.||Clank|
|NTSC-U||Windows 10 Pro x64||
||Lots of issues with textures. Game runs with minor, infrequent slowdown after Aranos. Will continue testing.||TheTechnician27|
|PAL||Windows 10 Pro x64||
||BIOS: Europe v1.6, I just made it to Thug HQ on planet Snivelak, and i didnt face any difficulties so far. The game runs great using all recommended speed hacks, and EE set to -1.||GouStoulos|
||Mipmapping now works in Hardware renderer and has been mostly fixed (hooray). I didn't encounter the Thugs-4-Less cutscene freeze as mentioned here. The game runs mostly smooth, but there's still a bit of slowdown when alot of action is occuring onscreen ;).|
|PAL||Windows 10 Pro||
||v1.5.0 (dev-1646 g483b3d6)||GSdx||
||Works better as expected, really smooth, no lag here. Unfortunately game crashed on the Thugs-4-Less cutscene.||_AG|
||Runs at solid 60 FPS on Hardware mode without slowdowns.||Martin.kosecky5|
|PAL||Ubuntu 17.10 x64||
||1.5.0||GSdx (GCC 7.2.0 SSE2/AVX) 1.1.0 [libGSdx]
||SPU2-X 2.0.0 [libspu2x-2.0.0]
||BIOS: Europe v2.20
The game runs smooth almost all the time.
Sometimes the game slows down to 50% after a cutscene which is only fixable with a full restart of PCSX2. Saving and restoring the state does not work in this case, you have to load the save game after restart of PCSX2!
- Original names: ラチェット&クランク2 ガガガ!銀河のコマンドーっす (SCPS-15056) & (SCPS-19302) & (SCPS-19317), 라쳇&클랭크: 공구전사 리로디드 (SCKA-20037) & (SCKA-20011)
- Also known as Ratchet & Clank 2: Locked and Loaded (EU, AU), Ratchet & Clank 2 (JP), Ratchet & Clank 2: Gagaga! Ginga no Commando-ssu (JP)
Megaturret Glove's turrets don't work
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: The upgraded turret glove's turrets loop the deployment animation and sound continuously and can't shoot anything.
- Workaround: There's no known solution.
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Serious
- Description: Many textures are broken until you stand close to objects due to GSdx not supporting mip-mapping in Hardware mode.
- Workaround: Mipmapping is automatically enabled for this game in recent PCSX2 v.1.5.0 development builds. For earlier v1.5.0 builds go to Config > Video (GS) > Plugin Settings, and manually set Mipmapping to "Basic (Fast)". Or switch to Software mode by setting Renderer to any of the "(Software)" options.
Cutscene doesn't load
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Minor
- Description: After disabling the Thugs-4-less jamming array, only the audio from the following cutscene is loaded. The next cutscene doesn't load at all and the game is stuck on a black screen.
- Workaround: Is resolved in recent PCSX2 v1.5.0 git builds as long as "Automatic Gamefixes" is enabled. For older versions go to Config > Emulation Settings > Game Fixes tab, click "Enable manual game fixes" and enable the "EE timing hack" fix.