Gran Turismo 4
Developer(s): Polyphony Digital
Game description: Are you searching for a driving game that offers more than just breakneck speed? Look no further than Gran Turismo 4. The most recent installment in this amazingly popular racing game brings realistic driving to a whole new level. With loads of new cars and a vastly improved physics engine, you'll be ready to tackle the roads in your favorite cars from the last century. (From Wikipedia)
Test configuration on Windows:
|PCSX2 version:||0.9.9 r4878|
|Graphics by GSDX:||r4873|
|Sound by SPU2-X:||r4872|
|Pad plugin is LilyPad:||r4484|
|BIOS version:||USA v2.00|
- This game requires a ton of personal tinkering to get it to run decent.
Hack comments: Hacks: EE CycleRate (3), INTC, Wait Idle Loop, mVU flag hack.
- MTVU may increase speed in quad cores, in dual-cores it increases depending on the race but may cause slowdown in others.
- Other hacks cause crashes or game won't boot.
|Graphics by GSdx:||0.1.16|
|Sound by SPU2-X:||2.0.0|
|BIOS version:||USA 2.00|
Comments: Stock settings, just the GS had to be switched to GSdx. Only problem is that in a race it is too slow (20-30 fps) and the game doesn't work with frame skipping; with hardware video acceleration enabled in GSdx, it is twice as slow. The problem seems to be the CPU. System: Core i3-2100 3.1 GHz dual core+HT, Nvidia 8800GT with proprietary 295.40 driver, Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit.
|CPU:||Intel C2D e8400 OC 3.6Ghz|
|GPU:||nVidia GeForce 260GTX|
- This game has very, VERY high requirements. Don't expect a smooth or stable game. Heavy slowdown often. Mostly depends on track, lights and the amount of cars on screen.
- "Allow 8-bit textures" in GSdx may help with speed a bit more and maybe reduce the Vram slowdowns.
- In Gsdx config change the interlacing mode to Bob tff to stabilize the image.
Crashes pretty often. Happens because of spikes in VRam use.
- If you get lots of crashes during license tests use lower internal resolution in GSdx or use ZeroGS or ZZOgl, expect much slower speeds from using the last two.
- In GSDX HW AA causes the game to crash alot so set it to 0, running the game with native res seems to help as well.
- Additionally in Windows XP even in native resolution you may get instant crashes when starting races if you don't have enough VRam, using a custom resolution lower than 512x512 seems to help.
- Solution: Set VU Clamping Mode to Extra to fix.
Garbage all over screen in races
Happens when using color/brightness options other than 0.
- Solution: To fix the super broken graphics and crashing during races set the Brightness to 0 in options.
- Solution 2: In Ntsc version , change the display in game config to Normal, then you can set the brightness to 5 whithout the broken graphics, and get a clearer picture.
Demo races not working
Demonstrations return back to menu as soon as they start.
- Solution: Only work with EE clamping set to full.
Photos are all messy. Solution: Unknown.