Final Fantasy XII
Developer(s): Square Enix
Publisher(s): Square Enix
Game review links: : 91/100, : 92/100
Game description: The story of FINAL FANTASY XII takes place in a world called Ivalice, in an age when magic was commonplace and airships plied the skies, crowding out the heavens. War was on the horizon. Seeking to strengthen its base of power, the great Archadian Empire had been invading and subjugating its neighboring kingdoms one by one. The small Kingdom of Dalmasca was one such kingdom. Our story follows Vaan, a young man living on the streets of Dalmasca's Royal City of Rabanastre, the Princess Ashe, the sole remaining heir to the Dalmascan throne who had been given up for missing, as well as Vaan's friend Penelo, the sky pirate Balthier, Balthier's partner Fran and many more on an adventure through Ivalice that traces the mysteries behind the Archadian Empire's invasion.
Final Fantasy XII is a console role-playing video game developed and published by Square Enix for the PlayStation 2. Released in 2006, it is the twelfth title in the main Final Fantasy series and the last in the series to be released exclusively on the PS2 (not including the expansion sets to FFXI which all got released on PS2 and Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerebus). The game introduced several innovations to the series: battles occur without a transition to a separate screen; a customizable "gambit" system automatically controls the actions of characters; and a "license" system determines which abilities and equipment are used by characters.
||pre-0.9.7 Beta 1888||GSdx 0.1.16 (2693)||SPU2-X 1.4.0 (2693)||FPS: 60||Arquliz|
||0.9.9 r5037||GSdx r5085||
||BIOS: EUR v2.00, Hacks: INTC, Wait Loop Detection, mVU flag hack, Enable fast CDVD, mVU Block Hack, MTVU. Runs perfect without overclocking. Some slowdown in menus at 6x scaling.||CaptainFantastic|
|NTSC-J (International Version)||Windows 7 (6.1, build 7601)||
||PCSX2 1.0.0||GSdx r5334, 0.1.16||SPU2-X r5324, 0.1.16||FPS: 300
||Europe v02.00(14/06/2004), Recommended, FPS drops when near Wendigoes and large groups of enemies. The only enemies I have yet to face are the Hell Wyrm and Yiazmat. Run it in Native because upscaling any higher causes tremendous lag on the Menus and during most battles., PCSX2 crashes when accepting hunt 28 directly after accepting hunt 13. Not sure if this is specific to my ISO, so more testing needs to be done in regard to that.|
||1.1.0 r5480||GSdx 5442 SSE41||
||Runs at 200% speed.|
||1.1.0 (svn) Jan 12, 2014||GSdx||
||USA v01.60 (07/02/2002), On initial load before scene on screen is shown, sound is choppy. Fine afterwards unless you have a lesser powered machine and then it can get choppy on every area change., All Famfrit and Phoenix boss fights have bad shadows in hardware mode.|
|NTSC-U||Windows 7 x64||
||1.3.1 - 2014 Git||GSdx-AVX||SPU2-X 2.0||• EE CycleRate: Speed ups vary depending on setting, seems to affect FMV's and causes skipping if set too high.
• VU Cycle Stealing Seems to have no effect. • INTC Sync Hack: No noticeable speed up, no issues. • Wait Loop Detection: Large speedup, no issues. • mVU Flag Hack: Small speed up, no issues. • MTVU: Noticeable Speed up on tricore and higher
||1.4.0||GSdx MSVC 19.00 1.0.0||
||BIOS: USA v02.20, GS hacks: Custom Resolution 1920 x 1080, Texture Filtering: Bilinear (Forced), Anisotropic Filtering: 16x, CRC hack level: Aggressive. Enable HW hacks: MSAA 4x, Half-Pixel Offset, Align Sprite, Alpha, Alpha Stencil, Preload Data Frame. Runs at 60 FPS on most parts, some shadows on the floor appear blue in some areas of the game.||Adalberto|
|NTSC-J (International Version)||Windows 7||
||1.5.0 dev 1686||GSdx 1.1.0
||The version used here was the International release with a translation patch applied. Has two noticeable graphical glitches in all hardware modes, not gamebreaking or intrusive but readily apparent. The minimap distortion effect does not display properly in hardware renderers and there are graphical glitches during the Famfrit fight with Cid. The game also slows down to 10FPS during Mateus introduction cutscene and most level 3 and some level 2 Quickening animations despite running at 300FPS uncapped at 4x Native resolution otherwise. Completely playable from beginning to end with no freezes or crashes. When uprendering there is noticeable ghosting during cutscenes which can be reduced with half pixel offset hack but that creates other graphical glitches.||Vibhor|
||pre-0.9.7 beta 1736||ZZogl 182||Don't use AA higher than x2.||188.8.131.52|
||1.5.0 (git) from LibreGeek||GSdx 1.0.0||
||3X IR. IZJS with English patch. Full speed, no visible defects.||monojin|
- Original names: ファイナルファンタジーXII (SLPM-66320) & (SLPM-55022), ファイナルファンタジーXII インターナショナル ゾディアックジョブシステム (SLPM-66750) & (SLPM-55210)
- Also known as Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System (JP,KO,AS), 파이널 판타지 XII INTERNATIONAL Zodiac Job System (KO)
- The game sets to widescreen when it is prompted by the 16:9 ratio setting in the PS2 internal menu.
- Both the original version of Final Fantasy XII and the NTSC-J only Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System (FFXII IZJS) run the same, regardless of user patches such as English translations.
- This game has native widescreen support, but there's still a WS Patch included in PCSX2's cheats_ws.zip archive file that is superior to the game's native WS option. The native widescreen adds a bit more to the sides but crops the top and bottom of the 4:3 image, meaning less visible vertical viewing area than when played in 4:3, while the WS Patch gives you more to the sides without cropping the top and bottom. So be sure to use the WS patch in addition to setting the game's Screen Size option to "Widescreen (16:9)".
Shadows not displaying correctly
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: Some shadows are missing or incorrectly shaped and in the wrong place. And some surfaces are completely black when they're not supposed to be.
- Workaround: Go to Config > Video (GS) > Plugin Settings, click "Enable HW Hacks", go to Configure Hacks and enable Preload Frame Data. This will fix some shadows but also cause new shadow glitches. Switch to Software mode by setting Renderer to any of the (Software) options to avoid this issue.
Corrupted Overwritten save data
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Serious
- Description: Attempting to overwrite previous saved games will cause the new file to be corrupted.
- Workaround: Use v1.3.1-1538-gd3ec74b or newer. For older builds, either use a file-based memory card or delete the previous savegame file you wish to overwrite before saving.