Drakan: The Ancients' Gates
Developer(s): Surreal Software
Game review links: Gamespot link
Game review score: 7.7/10
Game description: Drakan: The Ancients' Gates is an action-adventure PlayStation 2 game with RPG elements by Surreal Software. It is the sequel to the 1999 PC game Drakan: Order of the Flame.
Test configuration on Windows:
|Graphics by GSDX:||1611|
|Sound by SPU2-X:||1.2.0|
|Pad plugin is LilyPad:||0.10.0|
|DVD plugin is Linuz ISO CDVD:||0.8.0|
|BIOS version:||Europe v01.60|
- With the latest beta version r1736 the emulator will crash on switching to new locations, use r710 to load instead.
- Do not use r710 to play as it tends to freeze in some situations
- After saving to memcard NEVER load from old states (F3), consider all quick states invalid you can only save them anew!
- Sometimes the world can stuck preventing from performing any action (cannot change a weapon, enemies will not move and cannot be killed). You have to save often (F1) and change quick slots often (F2) as the only way to resolve this is to load.
- There are some minor GFX glitches in GSDX as of r1611. Sun shines through the walls, some trees look bad the skies can be broken from time to time.
Hack comments: EE x2, INTC, IOP x2, Idle Loop, VU Stealing 3
|Graphics by ZZogl:||182|
|Sound by SPU2-X:||untested|
Comments: Regulary freeze
|GPU:||nVidia Geforce 8800GTX|
Some game strategies (may contain small spoilers!)
- The first 3-4 hours of play for this game are the hardest. You do not have enough experience to get a decent weapons/spell and the enemies ain't too weak in comparison with those I'll encounter later. This is a crash test for your skills. When in Shadowmire you'll perform better using bow than a sword.
- Gaining experience in the beginning, you may want to spent the hard earned points to some Melee and Archery exhancement but upgrading Magic skills later is a must!
- When fighting skeletons it's better to use the fast sword than any other weapon. Squat down and wait for them coming constantly using your sword. They'll be dead in no time.
- When fighting with bosses and tough enemies (and most of them are tough in this game) try to trick the weak game AI by hiding behind some obstacles like small rocks, walls, corners, etc. Even when the enemy is visible by 1-2% you can kill it without spending too much of any precious resource (including HP). Running around rocks when using magic is considered a wise strategy.
- When fighting on the stairs/doorways remember that most of the enemies cannot follow you up or through so hiding in small rooms using range weapons or magic.