Developer(s): Criterion Games
Publisher(s): EA Games
Genre: Action, Shooter, Arcade
Game review links: IGN: 8.6/10, Eurogamer: 8/10, Metacritic: 79/100, GameSpot: 7.4/10
Game description: You can engage in cinematic firefights through destructible environments in Black, the new first-person shooter from Criterion Studios. You can play as an operative in Eastern Europe with extensive access to the newest exotic weaponry that the world has to offer. As you blast your way through the urban environments featured in the game you can find opportunities to make "style kills," using your environment to take out your foes with explosions or falling debris.
Black takes place in Ingushetia and Chechnya, Russian Federation. The protagonist is a black ops soldier named Sergeant First Class Jack Kellar. Kellar is an inadequately disciplined member of a CIA black ops group and a veteran of several conflicts. He is now considered a terrorist and has been captured. He is now forced to tell his story (the game) or go to jail for life.
Test configurations on Windows:
||r4600||GSDX r4643 0.1.16||
||CPU heavy game. To get 480p mode on PAL: Hold Triangle and X as the first loading screen is showing.
• GSDX r4631+ is required, it adds a hack fix for garbage FX. • Rare input glitch, restarting level seems to be the only fix for it. • Speedhacks used: INTC Spin detection, Wait Loop Detection, Fast CDVD, mVU flag hack, VU Cycle Stealing:1
||r5645||GSDX r5632 SSE41 0.1.16||
||BIOS: usa 2.20, HACKS: none, Still missing sky & post processing effects (sun shafts etc), controls freeze sometimes, player gets stuck on the spot, can turn but can't move., plays full speed 60fps. PAL version.||Slarlac249|
||Europe v02.20(10/02/2006) 25-60 fps. Mostly under 60. No "EE Cyclerate" and "VU Cycle Stealing", but almost all (except Fast CDVD) activated, because "EE Cyclerate" and "VU Cycle Stealing" freeze the game. Playable, but to play it with my system, it´s stressful, many slowdowns. Sometimes you stuck, you have to be careful. The other testers already mentioned it. But there´s a spinning bug in the "Nasran Foundry" mission . After destroying the production machines and heading back to the last area, the camera is going really wierd and it´s hard to complete the mission. I think there´s no fix for that.||LeRutY|
||Europe v01.70(27/02/2003), MTVU, INTC Spin Detection, Enable Wait Loop Detection, mVU Flag Hack, Still Playable. Works fine at a nice speed. Curse them long unskippable videos!|
||1.1.0 r5576||GSdx 5570 SSE41||
||Runs at full speed.|
||USA v02.00 (14/06/2004)|
||1.3 Git 18 of June||GSDX||
||USA v02.20(10/02/2006), Standard Speedhackers +MTVU, Ok,lets go.|
||Europe v02.20(10/02/2006) 2 cores set, 99% of the time at 100% speed but wasn´t fun with my old PC, this game is very demanding. Hardware mode is almost as good as Software mode, use HW mode when you´re low at FPS in SW. No speedhacks activated, because any speedhacks (and if it´s just the speedhacks tab) will freeze the game for me for what reason. If you move too quick around edges you can get stuck, the other testers already mentioned it. Another big thing in the game is the spinning bug, it happens when an enemy gets stuck at a place (like you can) and you look at his direction, the camera will go really weird. I don´t think there´s a fix for that other than kill the stuck guy.||LeRutY|
|NTSC-U||Windows 10 Enterprise||
||GSdx 1.1.0 SSE4
||Game runs perfectly well, full frames and no bugs 100% speed! Lmao enjoy. This was really fun. Only a few graphics glitches like some innocent flickering, don't ruin the game at all. Only early game too. Just... Disable frame limiter when you start a new game. The cutscenes are so dang long!! THEY ARE SO DANG LONG!!! I AM SERIOUS. WHY. Padding game length and DVD size?? Fuck me. Lmao||GewehrRoss1|
|PAL||Linux Mint 19.1||
||1.4.0||GSdx (GCC 7.3.0, SSE2) 1.0.0 [libGSdx-1.0.0]||SPU2-X 2.0.0 [libspu2x-2.0.0]||BIOS: Europe v02.00 FPS 40/50 (Pal games run only at 50fps). OpenGL Hardware , Shade Boost all Set to 50, Full Depth Emulation ,Internal Resolution Native , Blending Unit Accuracy Basic , Automatic CRC Level Partial , Speed Hacks Enable INTC Spin Detction Enable Wait Loop Detction mVU Flag Hack UV Cycle Stealing 1. Only player the first level Some slow downs during game play but playable more testing might be needed.||Logeater|
- Original names: ブラック (SLPM-66354) & (SLPM-66731) & (SLPM-66961)
- Access the Progressive Scan menu by holding the cross and triangle keys together when the game boots up.
Sky doesn't render properly in Hardware mode
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: The skybox in Hardware mode isnt properly rendered, appearing black to anyone who loaded in the game in Hardware mode.
- Workaround: Load in with Software mode on, then switch to Hardware mode by pressing F9.
White line follows the player in Hardware mode after the Skybox fix
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: A white line will follow the player after the skybox fix, outlining everything in front of the character.
- Workaround: Go to Config > Video > Plugin Settings. From there, check enable HW hacks and click Advanced Settings and Hacks. Set Half-pixel Offset to Special (Texture).
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Major
- Description: Certain areas you can't move and you either need to quit game or kill yourself.
- Workaround: Patched in the latest 1.7 dev builds.
- Games rated C in Japan
- Games rated M in North America
- Games rated 16+ in Europe
- Games rated M in Australia
- Games rated 15 in Korea
- Games with widescreen support
- Games with progressive support
- CPU intensive games
- Games with English language
- Games with Japanese language
- Games with German language
- Games with French language
- Games with Spanish language
- Games with Italian language
- Playable games
- Games by Criterion Games
- Games with minor issues