Ratchet & Clank
Developer(s): Insomniac Games
Publisher(s): SCEA (US), SCEE (EU), SCEI (AS, JP)
Genre: Action, Platformer
Game review links: : 88/100
Game description: Ratchet and Clank team up to save the world from the evil Drek, the leader of a dead planet who drains resources all over the universe. As you progress from one alien planet to the next, you'll find or purchase over 36 weapons and gadgets, including a wrench, bomb glove, grappling hook, cannon, machine gun, and rocket launcher. Think about it--you can choose from burning, bombing, exploding or obliterating your enemies. So go ahead, blow it all up.
Ratchet and Clank set out on a quest to gain the help of the famous superhero Captain Qwark to save the galaxy from the Blarg.
||0.9.8 (r4600)||GSdx 0.1.16 (r4643)||
• Fully playable aside from garbage textures and models at a small distance. • The weird colored models can be fixed by setting GSdx to software mode, the FPS will suffer a huge hit. • Can be slightly GPU heavy at parts where a lot is on-screen.
||USA v01.60(07/02/2002), Besides the graphical bugs mentioned below, everything appears to be working fine. FPS hovered around 60 FPS.|
||Europe v01.70(27/02/2003), Still Playable. Game works fine at a good speed. Requires Software Mode to fix the graphics (Mipmapping), the game can be quite slow. I achieved pretty much constant full speed by putting VU Cycle Stealing to 1 and 4 Extra Rendering Threads for Software Mode (this game seems to like them a bit more than normal).|
||If using Hardware Mode: Will caused garbled textures. Use Software Mode. Some textures will appear fuzzy at distance but is fully playable.||OmegaNull|
||GSdx||SPU2-X||Ran at playable speeds with lag when there are a lot of on screen elements.||Clank|
||GSdx||SPU2-X||BIOS: USA v2.2, Ran great, I found it better with EE cyclerate set to 1 (Notice done in Software mode).||Apihl1000|
||1.4.0||GSdx||BIOS: Europe v1.6, Sometimes the distant textures bugs or the game is slowed (10-15 FPS). I recommended Hardware Mode and speedhacks, is more playable.||Aiglerac|
|NTSC-U||Windows 10 x64 (Build 14393)||
||BIOS: USA v2.20, Garbage textures still persist. Cutscenes stutter a bit, and game feels slow even at full speed (though it could be my memory of how the game was when I used to play it.) Overall playable, though not the best experience.||Jonbuddy1|
|PAL||Windows 10 Pro x64||
||1.5.0||GSdx SSE4||SPU2-X||BIOS: Europe v1.6, Game runs smooth with no problems. Used all recommended speedhacks, and basic mipmapping.||GouStoulos|
|NTSC-U||Windows 10 x64||
||v1.5.0 (dev-3199 g2f8932e37) (
||BIOS: USA v2.30, Semi-Consitent FPS around 60. No clear graphical glitches. Main source of fps dropping seems to be crates. (note: this game is EE heavy)||YFNS|
||GSdx 1.1.0 AVX2
||Using BIOS USA 1.60, game runs decently, says it's running at full speed always but you can see it lagging. To combat this a little, I raised the target framerate to 105%, so it runs at around 63 but it looks a little better.||ClubSpade12|
||1.6.0 Stable||GSdx SSE4.1/AVX 1.2.0
||Plays at full speed even with widescreen hack. Minor Blue glitch in background menus||Zerel|
||PCSX2 1.6.0-20200506140834||GSdx AVX2 1.2.0
||BIOS: USA 2.00. Played at full speed. Opaque background to menus, but it's worth it to stay in hardware mode. OpenGL and Direct3D 11 had similar performance, with OpenGL performing slightly better. Anisotropic Filtering is optional. For the Riglar bolt-trick, use turbo mode, lock input, and lower GSdx settings.||Otamajakushi|
|NTSC-U||Windows 10 Pro x64||
||Game is very demanding. Occasionally slows down with EE Cyclerate 0, but setting to -1 activates the game's internal frameskipping and makes it run a little smoother in most sections. Solid background menus are fine, since other than that and some minor lighting glitches, the game looks great.||Darkshadows|
||1.7.2900||GSdx||SPU2-X||I just beat this game with zero game breaking issues. There were some very minor flickering textures and weird texture perspective warping (not sure if that's the game or PCSX2) but other than that it ran great with Vulkan renderer, EE Cycle Rate set to 180%, and MTVU enabled.||Optim|
||v1.7.2921||GSdx||SPU2-X||Played the game on standard settings upscaled to 1080p. Game runs terrible on 1.6.0 but almost perfectly on latest nightly. Some cutscenes randomly lag and on planet Batalia/ fort krontos the game speed keeps moving between 85% and 100% probably because of all the rain on screen.||Tom|
|PAL||Ubuntu 17.10 x64||
||1.5.0||GSdx (GCC 7.2.0 SSE2/AVX) 1.1.0 [libGSdx]
||SPU2-X 2.0.0 [libspu2x-2.0.0]
||BIOS: Europe v2.20
The game runs smooth with almost no problems (with some light lag which is almost not noticeable). I was able to complete the whole game without any issues.
||1.7.2678 Nightly||GSdx 1.1.0 AVX2, OpenGL (Hardware)||
||Game is playable, but suffers from slowdowns during gameplay.||Zerron21|
- Original names: ラチェット&クランク (SCPS-15037) & (SCPS-19211) & (SCPS-19316)
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: Most menu backgrounds are glitched in GSdx hardware modes.
- Workaround: Use software mode, or ignore it (gameplay is not affected).
Crash on MTVU + Disabled Framelimiter
- Status: Active
- Type: Minor
- Description: The game may crash when loading into a new planet if MTVU is enabled and the framelimiter is disabled. Seems to scale with the power of the host CPU; the stronger the CPU, the faster the game will run, and the faster the game will run, the more likely it is to encounter the hang condition.
- Workaround: Do not disable the framelimiter while loading a new planet. Or, simply reboot the game after the crash (the game auto saves when changing planets, before the crash condition is reached, so no progress will actually be lost).
- Type: Note (not an issue)
- Description: R&C runs at low framerates out of and in combat.
- Workaround: Try enabling MTVU under Settings > System which as of writing is default turned OFF. This should be a good fix for most people. If this isn't enough try switching to the Vulkan renderer (Under Graphics > Renderer).
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Serious
- Description: Garbage textures until you stand close to objects due to GSdx not supporting mipmapping in hardware mode.
- Workaround: This can be resolved with the latest v1.5.0 git builds. Go to Config > Video(GS) > Plugin Settings, and set Mipmapping to "Basic". Or switch to Software Mode by setting Renderer to any of the "(Software)" options. Note: To minimize the potential performance impact of Software Mode, set Rendering Threads to one less than the number of available CPU cores.