Developer(s): From Software
Publisher(s): From Software (JP), Agetec (US), Nobilis (EU)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Horror
Game review links: Metacritic: 57/100
Game description: An experience like no other - this timeless, Japanese horror story creeps into your soul. The tune of Japanese Taiko Drums and the Dark Hymns of children are heard throughout the night. Residents wander like ghosts, and hungry demons creep in the darkness. The Heian-kyo Period of Ancient Japan where mysticism and magic will require you to reach deep within your soul to uncover the mysteries of the undead. A dark 3D adventure that comes to life in stunning detail with atmospheric lighting,...
Kuon is based on an ancient type of Japanese horror story called Kwaidan. The setting is a dark and gruesome mansion in the Japanese town of Kyoto where mutated creatures and other horrors lurk. The game is set during the Heian Period (794 to 1185) of ancient Japan.
In Kuon's Yin Phase (Chapter of Shadow), Utsuki and Kureha arrive at the Fujiwara mansion to find their father. At the same time, during the game's Yang Phase (Chapter of Light), Doman's disciples, including Sakuya and her older brother, enter the manor to investigate the strange incidents occurring there. Utsuki and Sakuya become separated from their respective groups, and occasionally meet one another. (from Wikipedia)
Test configurations on Windows:
||1.1.0 r5517||GSdx 5464 SSE41||
||Playable., Any res > native gives some halos & double image because of filtering.|
||HACKS: Default ones and MTVU., Runs nearly perfect. The shadows arent' perfect like in software mode, but with offset TC Offset x:400 and y:400 you have very good results with higher resolutions in hardware mode. Speed is smooth with max. fps under 3x hardware mode. Software mode is fine too.||Yuri|
||1.7 dev||Vulcan||Runs perfectly in 2k 60fps. Ghosting glitch fixed by using 370 x 340 offset, 400x400 doesn't fix it completely. Also you don't need to change Half-pixel Offset to Special, it will add only more ghosting||CrazyMage|
- Original names: 九怨 (SLPS-25329), 구원 (SLKA-25171)
- Widescreen support available as a .pnatch file. Grab it from the PCSX2 forums.
- Status: Active
- Type: Serious
- Description: Ghosting issue with characters. Also a white line appears at the top and left edges of the screen (only in upscale mode).
- Workaround: Needs texture coordinates offset set to values 400 400 in GSdx hacks section. Unfortunately the Half pixel offset brakes the dynamic lights cast by the player character (huge black block around the character). In PCSX2 1.5.0 it can be fixed by setting Half-pixel Offset to Special (Texture - aggressive) in GSdx11 hacks section. No ghosting and no broken lighting this way.
Crack on walls
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Minor
- Description: Red crack is not visible on breakable walls. Instead it shows a white outline of the players character projected on the wall. Not the side effect of the texture offset.
- Workaround: Enable the Preload Frame Data hack. Or use software mode during this section of the game. This also makes the fatal blood pool in the Dream Chamber visible. Fixed with auto settings in 1.7
- Status: Fixed
- Type: Serious
- Description: The extra mini game is simply broken. The coin pieces are shifted from its correct place. If you or the cpu make a move the piece gets stuck, goes in an endless loop, flickers, etc. You can exit the game normally only the gameplay is broken.
- Workaround: Changing EE/FPU Rounding Mode from Chop/Zero to Nearest will result in the pieces moving the correct number of spaces and not infinite-looping. Removing the widescreen hack orients the pieces in the correct positions on the board (i.e. each row won't be slightly offset). Fixed in v1.7.0-dev-1690
- Games rated C in Japan
- Games rated M in North America
- Games rated 16+ in Europe
- Games rated 18 in Korea
- Games with widescreen support
- Games with English language
- Games with Japanese language
- Games with German language
- Games with French language
- Games with Korean language
- Playable games
- Games by From Software
- Games with serious issues